Smart Design and Construction in the building sector
The SDaC project aims to develop a platform for the use of artificial intelligence (AI) applications in the building sector. AI applications contribute to completing construction projects more efficiently and quickly, and to better meeting the needs of building users. SDaC is backed by a consortium of more than 40 projects partners from science and practice.
The building sector is highly fragmented: 99.9 percent of companies have fewer than 250 employees, and fully 90 percent of companies have fewer than ten employees. This circumstance, paired with the great complexity of the building sector that is among other things exacerbated by numerous project participants in various disciplines, leads to the heterogeneous use of software and hardware with resulting large, poorly structured, decentralized and distributed data volumes. These data are converged in the course of the project, then prepared and made machine-readable using AI methods. Interoperability as an enabler for the improved exchange of information in the ecosystem and the interface-free generation of knowledge from data using AI are thereby specifically promoted in the building sector for the first time.
Fraunhofer ISST is developing the architecture for the SDaC platform and realizing its technical implementation subject to data governance considerations. In order to achieve this objective, we are systematically collecting the application partners’ requirements for the platform and analyzing collaborative value creation mechanisms in the area of business models.
The SDaC platform’s intelligent architecture enables the sovereign and secure exchange of data along with real-time data transfer and analysis. The resulting networking of companies of different sizes across organization boundaries creates a collaborative, networked ecosystem between the platform’s stakeholders and permits the fast transfer of research results to applications in the building sector. A broad range of uses cases for companies in the building sector, from construction planning to production planning to the execution of construction, is supported by the SDaC platform by providing AI tools and methods.
- Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT), notably the following four institutes:
- Institute for Technology and Management in Construction (TMB)
- Karlsruhe Service Research Institute (KSRI)
- Institute for Automation and Applied Informatics (IAI)
- Institute for Entrepreneurship, Technology Management, and Innovation (EnTechnon)
- CyberForum e.V.
- Deutscher Beton- und Bautechnik-Verein e.V.
- digitales bauen GmbH
- FARO Europe GmbH & Co. KG
- Gemeinschaft für Überwachung im Bauwesen e.V. (GÜB)
- Goldbeck GmbH
- IGP Ingenieur AG
- Metis AG
- Steuer Tiefbau GmbH
- …as well as three subcontracts and 31 associated partners.
- FSubsidized by: Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Climate Action (BMWK)
- Term: 04/2020-03/2023