Hospitals, medical specialists, and general practitioners are discussing better cooperation in patient hospitalization and follow-up treatment under the concept of “integrated care”. The goal is to exchange information about patients more quickly and efficiently in order to ensure their best possible treatment and, for example, avoid expensive duplicate examinations. There have been a number of mostly smaller, regionally focused projects in recent years to establish referrer portals or other bilateral forms of communication. A uniform basis for cooperation across Germany has been lacking. The electronic case file is a case-based patient database administered by doctors that works with the telematics infrastructure as a value-added system.
Deutsche Krankenhausgesellschaft (DKG), Rhön-Klinikum AG, Asklepios Kliniken Verwaltungsgesellschaft mbH, and Sana Kliniken GmbH & Co. KGaA launched a joint initiative to establish a basis for cooperation across Germany and commissioned Fraunhofer ISST to develop a specification for the exchange of data between organizations. This has to take the requirements of the inpatient sector into account and serve as the basis for numerous networking projects. Strengthening the entire inpatient sector was the stated goal. This was ensured on the one hand through the participation of the DKG and, on the other hand, by making the specification available free of charge on the Internet after the conclusion of the first project phase in November of 2006 (www.fallakte.de).
The electronic case file
- Based on international profiles and standards: Integrating the Healthcare Enterprise (IHE) and Health Level Seven (HL7)
- Supported by numerous health IT firms (providers of hospital information systems and practice administration systems)
- Proven numerous times and used in various model regions for specific indications
- The EFA 2.0 specification is open and received a positive vote from state data protection officers
- Three EFA providers offer EFA out of the box in high-security data centers
- Interplay with KV-Connect and the telematics infrastructure
What we offer
- We support the introduction of EFA-based solutions
- We implement specialist applications such as web portals or apps based on EFA
- Healthcare-IT Solutions GmbH
- Rechenzentrum Volmarstein GmbH
- Fact’IT GmbH
- DHC NRW e.V.
- Intersystems GmbH
- CGM AG
- Visus GmbH
- X-tension GmbH
- MedVision AG
- Duria GmbH