Our scope of services
For data utilization across companies, a company first requires strategic data management. This data management should bundle mission critical decisions for data topics and formulate these across companies. New types of organization development (such as uniform data governance or data architecture) or new trends such as data ecosystems will have a lasting effect on a company. The strategic positioning of data management enables the sustainable alignment of data domains, data roles and data applications..
At Fraunhofer ISST, the components of strategic data management are researched, in which relevant data capabilities of a defensive and offensive company orientation are addressed. The aim is to establish and optimize data organizations while taking strategic premises and options into account. Developing a data strategy, for example, determines the prerequisite for participation in the data ecosystem or decides the nature of the data lifecycle alignments across the organization. A data organization is established using data governance approaches, which are guaranteed by means of decentralized and/or central company units and suitable data roles such as data owners and data stewards. In this context, data registration processes are implemented to enable business-compliant data usage. The implementation of a data organization increases the data quality and the usability of AI applications, reduces data search processes and improves the introduction of data applications.
Figure 1: Integrated approach to developing strategic data management with the Fraunhofer ISST toolbox
The services offered by Fraunhofer ISST include data strategy positioning, performing data assessments, selecting suitable data governance approaches, developing role and process models and extend to the implementation of data strategy concepts.
- Analysis of relevant data trends (such as data spaces, data productization)
- Strategic positioning of data management in the internal and external corporate environment
- Derivation of data capabilities of the organization
- Development of defensive and offensive attributes to align the data strategy
- Strategic integration with the business strategy using a target system, development plan and key performance indicators
- Development and selection of a suitable data governance organizational model to determine central and decentralized responsibilities
- Analysis and determination of suitable data roles according to tasks, competencies and responsibilities (AKV principle)
- Process model development based on the relevant data capabilities
Strategic data management contributes to solving demanding challenges in various industries. Whether as a toolbox in automobile production, as a framework in medical technology or as an organizational model in the transport sector, data management as a strategic cornerstone has positive effects on the time to launch a product on the market and the introduction of new applications.