Our scope of services
When making data available, both producers and owners of data often face the risk of losing control and thus the strategic value of their data resources. The International Data Spaces address this cross-sectoral conflict of objectives by enabling data providers to share data while maintaining data sovereignty and always considering the holistic business model.
At the Fraunhofer ISST, technologies are being developed to ensure data sovereignty on the one hand and to enable standardised data exchange using the Eclipse Data Space Connector (EDC) on the other. The EDC is a software gateway to the International Data Spaces and thus allows participation in the corresponding data ecosystems. The technologies developed by Fraunhofer ISST are based on the "Reference Architecture Model" and the certification criteria of the International Data Spaces e.V. and have been verified accordingly.
These and many other technologies enable new digital products and services that promise competitive advantages, revenue increases and higher customer loyalty. However, many organisations face significant challenges in successfully developing digital business models. Therefore, in addition to the technological components, the value creation structures of service offerings are specifically investigated in order to work out clear value propositions for the users of data ecosystems - including suitable revenue models.
The services offered by Fraunhofer ISST include application and concept development for the use of International Data Spaces, technical proof-of-concepts, support for implementation in productive use and joint open source development as well as the development of associated business models.
Eclipse Dataspace Connector
- IDS Connector for data exchange in the International Data Spaces
- Open source available under Apache 2 licence with a community of diverse companies
- Support for data sovereignty
Business models for ecosystems
- Workshops on business model development
- Canvas toolbox for systematic business model development
- Analysis of customer challenges and development of possible solutions
- Consideration and analysis of value creation based on the data value chain
- Definition of necessary requirements for value creation
- Analysis of the cost structure and development of suitable value capture models
Technologies for the creation of data spaces contribute to the solution of demanding challenges in various industries. Whether in the automotive industry with regard to predictive maintenance or supply chains, the mobility of citizens in general, smart cities in particular or data exchange in healthcare or the general integration of citizens in data ecosystems: Fraunhofer ISST is active in all these sectors with the technologies mentioned here.